Monday, August 9, 2010

Zucchini Frenzy

In an effort to eat better Hubbs and I are looking at new recipes, using foods we either didn't know the best ways to cook, have never tried before or haven't had a taste for.

Last night Tina and Chris stopped by with a bag of fresh zucchinis from their garden and let us have the pick of the bunch. I took the biggest one in the bag then asked about the best ways to prepare and eat it.

One of my favorite ways to eat zucchini is in a chocolate cake, the recipe I'm most familiar with is in my Grandma's Touch cookbook (Thanks, Grandma!). However that would only use up a cup of my massive zucchini. I was looking for a way to cook and eat it as a side dish for supper tonight.

I consulted my sister in law TGrocks, who said in her experience cooked zucchini turns out slimy, but that it does absorb the flavors of whatever your cooking it with. She was right on both accounts. My mom suggested cutting it up and frying it.

I cut up two cloves of garlic, half a white onion and the rest of the zucchini. I tossed it into my cast-iron frying pan with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, garlic salt and pepper to taste. I fried them until they were soft and then served them with pork chops.

TG was right, they did absorb all the flavors of the garlic and onions. I can't say that I liked eating it like that better then the chocolate cake, but it was definitely a nice flavorful change. I forgot to take a picture during the cooking process, but on the bottom of the plate is the end result.



2 comments:

  1. i find if your are gonna eat zucchini it is best cooked with other veggies. carrots, red peppers, asparagus or anything else. zucchini is awesome in stirfrys. ML

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Chef-Matty!
    Also, spaghetti sauce was my backup plan, but we just had it not even a week ago, so I didn't feel like it.

    ReplyDelete