Saturday, August 14, 2010

Shopping with Baby!

Every other week it is customary for my sister in law (and bestest friend) TGrocks to venture into our bustling city to do our big grocery shop.

I will admit, this adventure used to be much easier and carefree before Monster came along. We would go out, leisurely eat a nice lunch, and browse around every store we passed. Lately (the last 5 months or so) it's been a "Get in and get out before baby gets hungry or tired" kind of ordeal. Not to mention, before I even leave my house it's quite feat. My morning routine with Monster is far more stressful and rushed because I feel like I have this intense time line. Sound like I need to calm down and enjoy life? Yeah, I thought so too.

Packing for a downtown afternoon outing with a newborn feels like it takes a hundred years to perfect for a new parent. Or at least it did for this new parent. Every time you think you've got everything right, your baby ages, and passes new milestones ultimately screwing up your perfected plan!

Today I realized that since it's been over 5 months since Monster's birth he and I have both grown and learned enough to make an afternoon outing (even to a town an hour away) to do a butt load of shopping relatively easy! Today the three of us packed up, and headed out to Vernon to do our huge shopping excursion. Monster recently learned to sit up unsupported, so I decided to try out sitting him in the cart without his infant carrier (mostly because he out grew the tiny thing). I brought the quilt that his auntie (TGrocks) made him, plus toys and a receiving blanket.

We spread the quilt across the cart seat (where the kids sit) and sat him in. I put my huge mommy purse on one side of him and tucked the majority of the quilt on the other so that it would be nice, warm and comfortable. Monster was ecstatic! He was able to see absolutely everything, he talked to people who walked by, and played with all his toys (hung from the bars of the shopping cart).

At first I thought the fact that he outgrew his infant carrier car seat would hinder our outings, but in turn made it more comfortable and fun for him. Every single day having a baby gets a little easier. The only time it became an issue (and made me wish he hadn't grown out of his infant carrier) was when he was ready to nap, and I had to carry my 20-something pound limp sleepy baby round the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment