Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Homemade Vs. Store Bought Babyfood

For Monster's complete solids eating career I've fed him store bought baby food. I'll pause now for the shameful finger wagging from all the green mothers out there.

I had full intentions of making all my own homemade baby food, I promise! I started with carrots and sweet potatoes. The sweet potatoes were ridiculously easy, and took absolutely no time at all. The carrots on the other hand were what temporarily turned me off of making my own baby food.

After over an hour of steaming them on the stove top, I tried with all my might to mash them, when that didn't work I brought out my food processor. Even with my food processor the carrots didn't turn into a nice purée, they ended up being really "piecey". I froze them anyways because I am green enough not to be wasteful.

After that adventure it was either, invest in a Magic Bullet (which I still plan on doing) or buy pre made jars of baby food. I didn't want to take the chance of my Monster choking on anything, since I was going against the "no solids until 6 months" recommendations. I bought the baby food and that's what Monster has been eating.

Now that he's almost 6 months and can pretty much "chew" (let's face it, it's not really chewing until he gets teeth, right now I like to refer to it as Old Man Gumming) the "piecey" soft carrots might even be fine.

Once my pre made baby food jar stock diminishes I will continue on my journey of making my own baby food. As for now, the only thing he's getting homemade is bananas and sweet potatoes. In the end I will likely continue to buy pre made applesauce, I'm sure it's easy enough to make, but when you can by organic apple sauce that is literally called "Just Apples" for next to nothing, the lazy person in me will probably win.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment