Monday, August 9, 2010

Other Babies

I really hate to admit this, but I'm not sure that I actually liked babies (Note: Babies, not children. I love kids) until I had my own.

The day Monster was born, my whole world changed in more then one big obvious way. I now notice every single baby, family or pregnant woman! I love everything about parenting, my child, babies, talking about babies, playing with or around babies, and watching babies minds develop and learn.

Just this weekend I attended a wedding, and we had left Monster with my parents for the reception. Attending this wedding were two baby boys from different families, both at tables right in front of mine. The whole meal, toasts and desserts I felt like a creep just watching these two little boys playing with their parents or other guests at the table desperately missing my own little boy.

The boy at the table in front of us to the left was tiny, in a cute little button down with khakis', my guess was that he was about 3 or 4 months due to how he was acting, playing, and devouring his bottle. As I watched him interact with his mommy, my heart strings were repeatedly plucked because it wasn't long ago that Monster was acting that very same way. This baby was at the stage before the hair pulling, grabbing at everything in front of him and jumping around on your lap as if he was in a jolly jumper that Monster's now.

I later spoke with his dad, and found out he wasn't 3-4 months at all, but merely 4 days younger then my Monster. Even though I am well aware of how huge Monster is for his age, it's still so shocking for me to see other children his age, half his size. I don't want to brag, but Monster must either be smarter (haha!), or more inquisitive then other babies close to his age.

The boy sitting at the table in front of us to the right was about 7-8 months old, maybe older. His parents brought with them a portable high chair, and were feeding him solids like cheerios, and steamed broccoli and cauliflower. It was like I was right smack dab in the middle of two boys a little younger, and a little older then Monster, and yet, all three babies acted so different.

I do wish I had an opportunity to ask just how much older the older baby was. I can't help but compare my Monster to other children, or watch intently as an older baby acts or plays to see what I can be expecting in the near future. Developing minds are just so fascinating!

Oh, I would have also liked to apologize to the other parents in case they saw me staring at their baby, and ensure them I wasn't a kidnapper, but simply a baby-crazed mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment