Thursday, August 12, 2010

Breaking the Swaddle


I was recently browsing my home board over at whattoexpect.com and a common thread I've noticed over the last month or so has been breaking the swaddle.

For those of you out there who don't know (or remember) what a swaddle is, it's the way of wrapping your infant in a blanket tightly. The swaddle wraps the infants arms and legs tight against their body to resemble the confined comfort of the mothers womb. Most newborns will calm and fall asleep as soon as they are swaddled. See Video Here (Thank you, youtube.com)

The issue most parents face once their infant begins to roll over is that they are no longer comfortable swaddling them because of the suffocation risk. If your infant is used to being swaddled in order to assist sleep you might also experience difficulty putting your infant to sleep once your atop swaddling them.

Luckily this isn't something I'm dealing with. When Monster was born he was huge, 9lbs 6oz huge. All of the light receiving blankets I had were far too small to swaddle him. Not only was (is) he huge but like me, he is also very hot bodied. Even in March if he was over dressed he would sweat like crazy, which basically made it impossible to swaddle him with his larger, heavier blankets.

Even if he had proper blankets, I'm not sure the swaddle would have worked for Monster anyways. He has always been so strong and broke his arms and legs out of the wrap.

With our lack of options, we just did not swaddle him once he was out of the hospital. All of the sleep issues my March Mommy friends are dealing with now, I dealt with way back in March. I'm still sympathetic to them, but I am glad it's something I naively dealt with ahead of time. One less thing to worry about now.



No comments:

Post a Comment