Saturday, August 14, 2010

Emergency C-Section

When I was pregnant the thought of a possible C-Section birth was always in my head.

I wasn't one of those naive pregnant women who believe they will waltz into the hospital, have some pains, pop out a baby, and walk out with a bundle (I shouldn't say naive, because someone women are actually blessed with such experiences...). I personally witnessed two births in the year and a half prior to Monster's birth, so I knew how much could potentially go wrong.

I will admit though, the thoughts of a C-Section delivery diminished once 24 weeks rolled around and Monster had flipped (on his own) from the frank breech position to the head down birthing position.

The thoughts of a C-Section birth were even further from my mind on the morning of March 5th when I woke up at 3:45am to my water breaking. However, I was extremely unlucky, and after a 24 hour pitocin induced labor, I pushed for about 2 and a half hours to have a sunny side up head stuck upon decent to freedom.

That is the quickest, least painful way to remember my birth experience.

After Monster's emergency C-Section birth, my doctor has recommended that I wait at least two years from the surgery date (March 6th) before trying to conceive in order to try for a natural delivery the second time around. For those of you who doubt, I'd like to say that such scenarios are common on my side of the family. Both my mom and grandma delivered their first children surgically assisted, but naturally delivered their second.

I have a hole punched into my life experience list where "Having a painful, but as natural of delivery as possible" should be. Barring another Monster-esque baby, I hope to one day (almost two years from now) have this wonderfully painful experience.

I'm unsure as to why it is so important to me but I do know it's something I've always valued. I feel like it's a badge of honor, and I know I'm no less of a mommy (or a person) because I don't wear one... but damn it! I WANT ONE!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment