Monday, August 9, 2010

Infant Oral Health


I will admit, before becoming pregnant I did not realize how important infant oral health actually is.
BC Interior Health suggests that parents use a damp cloth to clean their infants gums at least twice a day basically from birth onwards. I am orally obsessed, yes that sounds dirty (haha), I love brushing, flossing, rinsing, and going to the dentist. Even someone so obsessed with good oral hygiene couldn't imagine why a parent would have to be so concerned with an infants gums.

In the beginning I wasn't very diligent with cleaning Monsters gums because I barely had time to breathe between feedings, diaper changes and everything else that comes with caring for a newborn.

Now that Monster is older and likes to grab and hold things he's been practicing brushing his teeth with his infant gum cleaning brush thing. Every morning after breakfast Monster joins me in the bathroom while I fix my hair, brush my teeth and put on my face. He sits patiently, with a huge grin in his bouncy chair on the counter (or floor -- depending on how much he feels like leaning forward or to the side) next to me. I run the cold water over his gum brush and the hand it to him. Like the spoon he's actually got decent aim when it comes to putting things in his mouth.
When he gets the gum brush into his mouth he mimics the motions mommy is making with her hands and tooth brush. Since oral hygiene is so important to me I am ecstatic to see Monster learning enthusiastically the foundation of tooth and mouth care.

1 comment:

  1. wow ms.monster... you never fail to impress me. I enjoy your blogs (and the creativity in which you write).
    Monster is such a lucky little man to have you and Hubbs for parents.
    It is alot of work to be a parent, but that doesn't stop you from taking to time to investigate all of your options for making good choices for your son.
    Keep up the good work pretty lady... you are AWESOME!!
    Luv K <3

    ReplyDelete