Thursday, August 12, 2010

Movies and Becoming a Parent

I am a crazy movie buff. How could I not be? First of all, I married someone who is cinematically obsessed, and my best friend (and sister-in-law TGrocks) is the manager of our local Blockbuster.

Don't ask me what my favorite movie is, I will struggle for days and then probably hand you a list separated into categories. We have a great collection, however I don't know how many movies I'm going to be able to watch and feel the same way about now that I've become a parent.

Bringing a child into this world, and loving them unconditionally changes your movie watching experience dramatically. Just last night we rented a movie that we've never seen before, not because it's old... I'm actually not sure how we missed it.

We recently became a fan of the novelists work because of recent movies made from his books. The movie was Mystic River. Essentially the story revolves around a homicide, the murder of a nineteen year old girl and her parents quest to find the killer.

Can you already guess how becoming a parent changed the way I watched and reacted to this particular film? As the detectives interviewed each parent, friend and the victims boyfriend I was holding in my hysterical sobs. One day I will have a nineteen year old, I too will have to learn to let go, will have the opportunity to worry constantly when they are gone, and fear the worst is going to happen.

Unfortunately I don't think I can watch movies about kids and families the same way anymore. Or the fact that I have a child has just widened the variety of movies I can watch to spark "a good cry" when I need it.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment