Thursday, July 15, 2010

Breast is Best...

... until you've grown a beast.

A month before I delivered my Monster the doctor was shocked while doing the regulation tummy palpations. "Oh Christine... This is NOT a small baby" she said sympathetically with a slight smile.

No, he was not a small baby, and he has been growing by Monstrous proportions since!

I believe very strongly that breast is best, and adored nursing my son. The closeness, and just knowing the fact that I was his sole nutritional provider warmed me to the core. Then the 3 month growth spurt hit. From the beginning of Monster's 3rd month of life, to the beginning of his 4th month he gained 3lbs 4oz and 2 inches in length.

My mommy guilt began setting in when the days started where I would nurse him until I had nothing left, and he would still drink a 6 ounce bottle of infant formula. The more he needed supplements, the less I produced. At the point when I could only nurse twice a day, I had to make a decision. One or the other, I couldn't keep stressing about how much milk I will produce, and how much he'd need in a bottle after.

The choice to wean my Monster was not an easy one, but with solids in sight, I knew it wouldn't be long before he started getting supreme nutrients from a pureed version of our Earth's bounty. The only thing keeping my mommy guilt at bay is knowing that I did everything humanly possible to keep my supply going for as long as I could, and the support of my loving Hubbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment