Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Looking into Infant fun at the public pool!

Monster has a girlfriend. Ok, so he's a little young, but we like to play pretend.

Tomorrow we have a date with friends of ours, the same friends who have a beautiful little girl born only 10 hours after my Monster. We're planning to visit the local swimming pool for the toonie swim.

Now to begin the checklist in order to take our infants swimming. The recreation center is equipped with a warm enough "kiddie" pool. Check. We have swimmer diapers, and little baby (adorable) board shorts!

As for professional health approval or advice, there really isn't any. After speaking with two public health nurses that openly admitted they just couldn't find any written rules or regulations regarding the chemicals and their effects on infant skin, they suggested I "use my best judgement". According to my schooling, I do not have a PhD, so I don't really consider my judgement the best possible judgement on the subject.

Alas, I turn to Dr.Google who could offer me nothing more then random (possibly completely uneducated, therefor having possibly less sense on the subject then myself) peoples opinions ranging from Earth-Mother "A baby was meant to be free in the water", to the uptight "The chemicals are far to harsh for a babies skin before they are at least one".

Where do I stand? Some place in the middle. When speaking to my family doctor at Monster's last appointment he said all is well as long as he is completely supervised. I should hope a mother would completely supervise her 4 month old whilst enjoying the pool.

It took a lot of preparation for this one evening of fun, I hope now that Monster enjoys the pool as much as he enjoys his nightly bath!

No comments:

Post a Comment