Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Sippy Cup!

I'm sure it seems a little young, but in my opinion, you can never stop teaching your little ones new things.

I decided when we started feeding Monster solids that it was also time to start practicing with a sippy cup. I put only an ounce of infant formula into the cup for practicing purposes, not thinking we'd actually get very far.

The first time we tried it, Monster wasn't even 4 months old yet, so it didn't go over well. The spout on the sippy cup is slightly larger, and harder then the nipple of a breast (of course) or bottle but requires a similar sucking motion.

We tried the sippy cup again about two weeks ago, and Monster was very enthusiastic once he figured out that "milk" came out of it! The only real benefit to him learning to use a sippy cup is independence when drinking. If it's not easier for me to help him with his cup, then it is to feed him a bottle, it won't be the primary liquid source but merely a way to "wash down" his food while eating.

At least he is willing to learn, so maybe my goal of being strictly on a cup during the day by 6-9 months isn't far off.



No comments:

Post a Comment