Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Quest for Baby Food

Interior Health Authority (among others in North America) suggest that an infant needs nothing more then breast milk or infant formula until the age of 6 months. At least that's what they're supposed to tell you.

We decided long before Monster's 4 month shots/check up to start him on solids. He was showing all the classic "I'm SO ready to eat!" signs. Watching us eat with and enthusiastic smile, opening his mouth whenever something came towards it, are just a few. He has also had champion-like strength in his neck, making it easy for him to hold his head up on his own.

At 3 and a half months we started Monster on rice cereal despite my knowledge that it has no real nutritional value. I will admit, I had some mommy-guilt in starting him on solids so soon, so I wanted to play it as safe as possible and stick with rice cereal. We fed him the rice cereal once a day for a week before we began introducing another food.

We started with rice cereal, moved onwards to banana's, apple sauce, and now squash on Monday. The apple sauce was by far my absolute favorite, he makes the cutest sour face I've ever seen, and the best part is, it's sporadic like only one in five bites are sour.

My goal until we reach six months is to try as many "beginner" foods as possible, so that he can have a wide variety once he reaches the time when solids are slightly more dominant in his diet then infant formula. Right now, Monster eats three small meals a day in addition to his infant formula. Fruit and Cereal for breakfast, Veggie for lunch, veggie and cereal for supper.

Figuring out how a six month old babies diet should look is the next nutritional mountain of information I plan on climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment