Friday, September 10, 2010

Thinking about Mommy Groups

Even in school I was never a big joiner. I had friends, attended classes, but I wasn't one for extra curricular activities. I think that might be changing.

I have a social baby. He loves to be out and about town and loves to be oogled by strangers who think he's the cutest thing since care bears. That goes well with my newest hobby, talking about my baby and my life now that I'm a parent.

How could I possibly combine those two things, and find something fun for the two of us to do together? Join a mommy group. I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing so. I'm not the most open person, and joining a group of mommies who already know each other might be intimidating. I'm not really looking for support or advice, but I love to "quiz" other parents on how they do things with their children (especially if they're Monster's age or a bit older). I'm not competitive, I just like to compare notes. It's very interesting to me to discuss points I haven't thought of (another reason for blogging..).

One thing I've found out, is that our local recreation center holds a "Mommy and Me" swim class. It's approximately $50 for something like ten 45 minute sessions. That would be a good way to meet people, but I'm sure my new "mommy body" might make the situation even more intimidating.

This dilemma is to be continued...

4 comments:

  1. Ugh, tell me about it. I'm trying to get up the nerve to start going to the baby sign group at the library. It hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance you might move to my town so we could just make our own mommy group?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wyatt and I are starting swimming lessons on tuesday. Should be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish! Or if you came here, and we convinced CeeJay to move here.... Then we could begin forming Norton's little army. Monster could be his little general. *wicked grin*

    ReplyDelete