Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thank you John Tesh!

Just a couple of days ago I blogged about my mommy guilt and returning to work. Luckily I've just had a (very minimal) bit of relief given to me by a faceless man.

Thank you, John Tesh. For those of you who have no idea who I'm talking about, John Tesh is a radio show host. His show airs nightly over our local station and is pretty interesting. He offers  us facts to live by in the way of : "Intelligence for Life", about almost anything.

A couple days ago when I was putting Monster to bed I was listening to a couple minutes of his show (Monster has a radio quietly going in his room 24/7). John Tesh was talking about Mommy Guilt! Ahh! You think I'm kidding right? Nope!

He provided statistics from studies (he usually states where and when the studies were done too) about children who have stay at home moms, and children who have working parents. Between the ages of 1 and 2, babies with working parents actually had a higher IQ. Not to worry stay at home moms, the study also showed that the babies all "leveled out" by the age of 3.

Another study he talked about followed 100(?) children from 8 months to 18 years that found it didn't matter if they had a stay at home mom or a working mom the children with more affectionate parents faired better in life. Children that experienced more affection from their parents handled stressful situations better, and were least likely to become depressed among a list of other things.

Of course I'm not going to base my whole views and opinions on one study, I would love to be a stay at home mom! But it definitely helps relieve a tiny bit of the guilt knowing those tid bits of information.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment