Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Healthy Eating is Learned

I would be lying (and not very well) if I tried to say I don't like sweets or fried food. Honestly, as I type Hubbs is popping a Delissio pizza in the oven for lunch. MmMm..

Part of the whole "new leaf" thing I talked about in my Commandments blog was inspired by my Monster. How can I possibly expect him to eat (more importantly, like to eat) fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean meats if we don't lead by example and eat them too. For the most part, Hubbs and I make sure we have our daily requirements, but it's usually not without a fight from one or both of us.

I often hear the argument that it's much faster to pop a pizza in the oven, then it is to chop up some veggies for a salad. I have to disagree with those people, because I was once one of those people and I know the truth! To bake a Delissio Pizza you have to preheat the oven, lets be generous and say that only takes about 5 minutes, then you have to bake the pizza for at least 25 minutes before you can actually eat it. In the 30 minutes you wasted waiting to eat your frozen pizza you could have chopped up your veggies AND eaten your salad. Barring any disfigurements in your fingers or hands that make it difficult for you to hold and use a knife.

Laziness. Our society has become so obsessed with speed, and getting things done as quickly as humanly possible that they have convinced themselves, and made excuses for themselves that "fast food" is the only way you can survive. I use the term "fast food" loosely. I'm not only talking about a drive thru window, I'm also talking about anything pre-pakaged and full of preservatives.

That is the way of thinking I'm planning on trying to prevent in my Monster.

(..to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment