Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Healthiest Babies Possible

On Tuesdays at our Family Resource Center there is a mommy group called 'Healthiest Babies Possible' which I try to attend as often as I can.

So far the draw has mostly been seeing Monster interact with other babies his age or a bit older. I love it! The first time I went he learned how to start scooting and moving (as apposed to just sitting in one spot) from the little ones he was playing with.

I actually know quite a few people in the area who had babies around the same time as me, but it's not always easy to find times that work good for both families to get together. This group is easy, is only two hours a week and is educational as well fun for the Monster.

This week was by far my favorite, even though I didn't get to see Monster interacting with other babes. We had a guided tour of Save-on Foods with a dietitian. That doesn't sound like a screaming good time to most, but it's something I'm interested in, therefore it was fun for me! Since I've had a history of battling my weight, and now issues with my gallbladder reading a nutrition guide is not a foreign concept to me like it is to a lot of people.

You know, those people who are blessed with a metabolism that allows them to eat anything and everything? It was interesting to hear her discuss the over-sugared breakfast cereals (and how many grams of sugar should be in a serving) as well as fiber in breads and other grains. Even though I'm aware of most things regarding what is good for you, and what isn't I did learn something today! Milk Fat. That is not a term I'd ever heard of! It came up when we were discussing cheese and yogurt.

I swear I could have picked her brain for an hour if we had the chance! In the end we got to take home a handy booklet that is just an amazing reference when it comes to knowing how much of everything we need, and don't need! Something that will be a useful tool as Monster gets older, and gains his own preferences towards foods. Please don't let him be a picky eater! :)
 

1 comment:

  1. It was a fun day, unfortunately I already knew most of that stuff as my best friend is a super healthy vegetarian who is always reminding me to eat healthy haha

    ReplyDelete