Thursday, August 5, 2010

Preparing for solids

Typically solids aren't introduced to infants until they're 6 months old. Of course, I am an eager beaver and started feeding Monster rice cereal at about 3 and a half months old.

He thoroughly enjoys eating, and I can't say that I am surprised. I mean, just look at the kid! Since then his menu has increased to 4 fruits and 5+ veggies. He usually eats some rice cereal and a fruit for breakfast, a fruit or veggie for lunch and a veggie for supper.

Today Monster spent the afternoon catching up on the sleep he missed yesterday so our feeding/eating schedule was slightly thrown off. He was ready to eat at the same time that I needed to be in the kitchen preparing supper. Good thing my kitchen and dining room are the same room.

I put Monster in his highchair and fed him a couple bites of his sweet potato then gave him the spoon to hold and practice. Next thing I know, there was sweet potato covering most of his face and highchair, but the spoon was in his mouth! I dipped it in his sweet potato purée for him and let him guide the spoon (all by himself!) back into his mouth! That's right! He fed himself!

Parents preparing their children for the 6 month "I can start eating solids" milestone isn't just feeding them various purées, but helping them practice feeding themselves as well. I honestly don't think I will have to worry much about Monster missing his mouth, he loves his food far too much to waste it.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Yep, Haven is the same way. I make sure to give her her very own spoon for each meal and it gets dipped into the food regularly. Though her aim is still a little off, she manages to feed herself quite a bit. She also LOVES when she gets to taste whatever mom and dad are eating :)

    ReplyDelete