Sunday, October 24, 2010

Attack of the Gallbladder

Back in March of 2009, just three months before I was due to be married I was working an evening shift at my job. I started experiencing a pain I had never felt before.

It started at five in the evening, and was a sharp pain just under my ribs on the right side of my body. Long story short I spend a few long hours in the hospital emergency room with my mother-in-law to find out I had just had my first gallbladder attack caused by passing a gallstone. Once the stone was passed the pain disappeared never to be heard from again...

Fast forward to approximately a month ago. I started having mild pain in the same area as before. I put off going to the doctor because the pain was mild and I knew what was causing it. I figured I would experience the pain until I passed a stone and then it would go away. No such luck. The pain persisted and I trucked off to my family doctor.

She is convinced that it is my gallbladder, and is sending me for a confirmation ultrasound. The result of the appointment was what I expected. I insisted on the opportunity to change my diet to see if that would improve the situation before jumping into the drastic alternative of surgery.She agreed but also let me know that an improvement in diet isn't always going to "cure" the problem and I may end up needing surgery anyways.

As for now I have decided to maintain a low fat diet, and ultimately, I should lose the weight that I need to if nothing else.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment